Theological Granny

Monday, February 10, 2014

It's a Keeper

"It's a keeper, that's for sure," Bob said as he finished the paperwork for my Toyota's latest trip to the shop. No problems were noted, so the charge was still less than $30.

We are in the middle of an incredibly cold winter, with repeated tales of cars not starting, of cars in the ditch. Meanwhile, I blithely go down to the attached garage, turn the key and back out without further ado. The weekend before my trip for the quarterly (or so) oil change/overall check, the car had been parked outside for 9 hours in negative 20 degree weather (with a windchill of 35 below, though I am not sure how that impacts cars). It was close to midnight when I walked out, put the key in the ignition, and started up on the first try.

This is a pretty plain, a little worn at the edges 96 Corolla, with 149,000 miles and about 5-6000 miles added each year. At this rate, I hope to keep it going for another decade. Yes, part of this has to do with my stinginess but also because I really, really hate the thought of having to shop for a car. But for now, the frugal nature of the car is really a top reason why I agree with Bob...it's a keeper.

This morning I drove out in -15 degree weather to a dental appointment; no cavities but a cracked filling--probably half a century old!--will need a crown next week.The car started like a charm as always, though the heater was just a little slow to warm things up, as usual. No fancy seat warmers here to help out either, but the old black wool piece that acts as my lap robe in the car worked fine. As I drove out, another patient was also leaving, in one of those massive all wheel drive SUVs with shiny chrome and oversized tires. The driver was a man of my own generation, and he looked very much like the driver of such a vehicle would probably look.

Maybe it was seeing that car-driver combination that started me thinking about how much like my own car I probably am. A lot of miles on a pretty basic body, no real upgrades but generally reliable and useful for helping out wherever possible. Nothing special to look out but able to take others to their appointments, etc., when they need help. The plan? just keep up with regular maintenance of good eating, avoid stressful situations and recognize my limitations. So we're both generally frugal, and I'm not yet ready to trade in my lifestyle--or car--for anything more flamboyant. Hope that makes both of us keepers for at least a little longer.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home